Covid-19 response: Alert Level 2 (Delta)
Level 2 (Delta):
With the return to Covid Alert Level 2 (Delta), select Cycling Southland events and activities are returning - please keep an eye on our Facebook page and the website for details.
For a summary of the rules that apply during Alert Level 2, visit https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-levels-and-updates/alert-level-2/
Road race guidelines:
- Public gathering limit of 100 people is in place
- No congregating pre or post event
- Maintain social distancing when not racing
- Parents/supporters should refrain from mingling with the riders (remain with their vehicles if at all possible)
- Masks need to be worn when signing on or not riding
- Scan in using the QR code at sign in
- Please adhere to best practice hygiene - no spitting or clearing your nose in the bunch
- No prize giving will take place in order to limit big gatherings
No parents or supporters to enter the Velodrome space or stand during Cycling Southland sessions - riders and coaches only. Coaches need to record their attendance as well.
- Do not arrive at the stadium before the scheduled start time of your sessions - numbers at the venue are strictly managed and there is to be no overlap between groups
- Warm up at home if at all possible
- Wear a mask when entering Stadium Southland
- Use hand sanitiser when entering the venue
- Use the designated entrance for the velodrome space (through the tunnel - please do not use the side entrance or main entrance as these are designated for other areas)
- Scan in - this is compulsory. There will be a physical sign in sheet provided for those unable to scan in, but scanning is preferred
- Use the designated bathrooms for the velodrome space, next to the entrance to the gym area
- Do not move through other areas - respect any signage and barriers
- Do not attend sessions if you are experiencing cold or flu symptoms
In th D:
- Remain socially distanced in the D - leve two seats open between riders
- Wear a mask while anywhere in the stadium other than riding on the track
- Shared equipment (compressor, rollers) to be wiped down after use
On the track:
- No held or gate starts
- No lining up on the rail as there is a significant risk of transfer of that point
- Under the rules in place for team sport, social distancing is to be exercised where practical, but riders are not required to stay two meters apart on the track while participating in drills
- Ensure all equipment used has been wiped down and stored
- Exit the D quickly at the end of the session, store bike, and exit the venue using the designated exit
- Riders and coaches need to be out of the venue by the designated end time of their session, so training will need to finish at least 15 minutes before the end of a session to allow for cleaning and storing of equipment and bikes, and vacating of the premises.
- Do not linger in the D or the lockup after a session
ILT Stadium Southland and SIT Zero Fees Velodrome:
Stadium Southland is open under Alert Level 2, but with strict gathering number restrictions, sign in and mask requirements, and separate entrances for different zones. Please follow the instructions on signs and from Stadium Southland staff, and do not cross any barriers set up in the venue.
TODAY'S TO DO
ON HOLD - CycloFit
CycloFit is on hold and will only return once Southland is back in Level 1.
ON HOLD - Lunch Roll
Current construction work in the Velodrome means that all daytime sessions are on hold until construction work has been completed.
ON HOLD - Learn to Ride
Learn to Ride has been put on hold until Term 4.
Memorial Race Classic and Curtis Dunn Memorial
Our second classic of the season, the Memorial Race Classic (Open) and Curtis Dunn Memorial (Junior) will take place on Saturday 25 September, starting from the Kew Bowling Club on Mcquarrie Street at 1:30pm, with registration from 1pm.
The open handicap will be contested over 102km, the U17/15 handicap over 34km, and the U13 handicap over 16km.
There will be additional Covid requirements in place, including, but not limited to, not congregating before or after the race, and no prizegiving after the event. Non riders (parents, supporters) are asked to remain with their vehicles and refrain from congregating.
Entries are open via the Webscorer link below:
Keirin Fest - Rescheduled
With Level 2 (Delta) limiting indoor venues to a maximum of 50 people at a time, the Keirin Fest, originally set to take place on Saturday 11 September, has been rescheduled, and will now take place on Saturday 23 October, should Southland be back at Level 1, or indoor gathering limits have been moved up to 100 people from the current 50.
Wednesday - Zwift racing
Cycling Southland Wednesday Worlds p/b GreenMonkey is now an official Zwift event - thank you to Daniel Carruthers of GreenMonkey for his invaluable contribution when it came to making this happen. For more information on the event, click here, and enter via the Zwift Companion app. Racing on Wednesday evening, 6:30pm, with A, B, and C grades.
Track training is still on hold for this week while we work through the procedures required to operate under Level 2 (Delta). Keep an eye on the track schedule (with Webscorer entry links) here for updates.
The latest edition of Cycling Southland's newsletter can be found here.
Upcoming Major Events
- POSTPONED: 28 August - Stonewood Homes Gore to Invercargill Classic
- 2 July - 19 November - King House Removals Omnium Series
- 25 September - Memorial Race Classic and Curtis Dunn Memorial
- 8 - 10 October - Yunca Junior Tour of Southland
- 12 - 13 October - South Islands Secondary Schools Track Championships
- 31 October - 6 November - SBS Bank Tour of Southland
- 3-5 December - Southland Track Championships
Recent Events and Results
- 14 August - Geo W Wilson and Sons Ltd Gore to Waikiwi Classic
- Outdoor H&J Smith Southland Time Trial and Road Race Championships
- Otago/Southland Secondary Schools Road Cycling Championships
- Vital Signs Fight for Yellow
- ILT South Island Age Group and Masters Track Carnival
- ILT New Year Track Carnival
- Southland Track Championships
2021 King House Removals Omnium Series
The King House Removals Omnium Series takes place over eight nights from 2 July to 19 November, and provides a great enviroment for building skill and speed in preparation for the South Island Schools Track Championships, National Track Series, and Southland Track Championships.
For more information and links to the results, click on the King logo above.