Hi everyone for another chilly week!
Things are definitely hot in terms of action down at the track on Sunday though for the Crowe Horwath Corporate Pursuit. Well done to everyone involved – both on and off the bike – it was another fantastic day with some awesome racing and battles on track.
You can now view full race day results and Robyn Jordan’s many photographs by clicking here
Thanks to everyone that kindly provided their time and experience to the successful running of the 2014 Crowe Horwath Corporate Pursuit. We will be putting out a survey monkey in the near future so please take some time to provide feedback to further enhance the planning for the 10th anniversary edition in 2015.
A reminder that Cameo Picture Framers can provide framed team photos from the event for $60.00.
To all volunteers, if you have taken your Crowe Horwath shirts home, please ensure they are washed and checked for stains before returning to Melissa at the office. Thank you again.
Thanks again for your support
Julian Ineson and Sier Vermunt
South Island Secondary School Road Champs
Big congrats to all our juniors who headed up to Christchurch for the South Island Secondary School Road Champs over the weekend – some terrific results and lovely pics – View the details here
Senior Racing Tonight
Senior Racing will resume its two-hour programme from tonight – 7-9pm so head on down and keep warm!
Tonight’s programme will consist of:
1) Graded scratch race (16 laps)
3) Point-a-lap (12 laps)
4) Kieran final
5) Distance points race (36 laps)
6) Match sprint (those interested)
Quiz with Cycling Southland starts tonight (Tuesday)
Book a Table at our Quiz starting 7pm at the Lone Star bar. Only $20 per table with loads of prizes on offer. Teams are a max of 6 people. Questions will be sport, history, geography, local legends, general knowledge – A whole blend so perhaps tap into all the minds at work?
Email: email@example.com – to book a table
Junior Division meeting
A Junior Division meeting will be held this Thursday, at 7pm in the Sarah Ulmer Lounge - all welcome!
Friday Junior Division
There will not be junior division racing again this Friday night but there will be an open session again from 6-7pm. Just mark if you have a concession card in the box or $5 please
Sunday Road Racing this week
Remember this weekend sees our first Sunday race so the Junior Secondary Schools competition can kick off. It is the Woodlands Graded race with a 12.30pm report for 1pm race start – yes apologies for the fluff up on last week’s online rego form – but the earlier time is correct! 1.Junior Division race this weekend is the first of our new 4 race college series. These are handicap races over short distances to encourage more college kids to road race. Points will be awarded to the first 5 place getters from each school. The winning school at end of the four race series will be awarded a trophy. There are 2 grades year 7-8 over 10 km and year 9-13 over 20 km. Entry form and details can be found on the website. You can enter on the day but entering online by Friday will help handicapping immensely.
This will also be the first race in the Winter Series. Seniors enter in the first form on the website and secondary school competition entries go in the second form Click here to enter now and please do so by midday Friday.
Thanks heaps to Wally and all his helpers for getting the programme started last weekend at the Donovan Graded Points Race. View the race report here
This is again the time for our annual road racing request - Do NOT cross the centre line or you will be disqualified. Understand the fact that we are in a far more vulnerable position on our bikes than car
drivers, so don’t make them angry, prompting a response which may endanger yourself and others. Take a moment to refresh your memories by checking out our road race rules.
Wet weather weekend options
There will be a wet weather track option on Saturday 2.30-4.30pm and 11am-12pm on Sunday if wet. Please remember to sign in on the attendance folder in the rack at the top of the tunnel railing inside the bike stand “D.”
Corporate Omnium - Details for build-up start on Wednesday 23 July
There have been a number of enquiries for further details for the Corporate Omnium.
- To take part you have to be a member of Cycling Southland [$25 dollars until 31st December; Find membership form HERE. You can pay by cash or EFTPOS at the velodrome office].
- The event requires teams of four, including one female. All riders will get the opportunity to train for each track event but come finals you will put forward an individual to represent at the Scratch/Elimination Race/Keirin/500m Time Trial. The whole team will take part in the Team Pursuit.
- Dedicated weekly training session from Wednesday 23 July 8-9pm. Please email interest and full team names to firstname.lastname@example.org. As there is a lot of interest I may ask some teams to come down at 9-10pm.
- Finals take place as follows: Scratch Race + Team Pursuit for Gala Night on Friday 5 September. 500m Time Trial will take place 8-9pm on Wednesday 24 September. The Keirin + Elimination Race will take place at our Track Carnival on 7-8 October.
- As a member, sessions will cost $5 (or $10 with bike rental). If you don't have a full team that is no problem, we will amalgamate groups of individuals.
- There will be a max gear of 86, but please note we will be converting a limited number of club bikes (there may be some sharing on the day). If you are training on your own bike at a higher gear that is fine, but please note come final day this rule will be firm.
- Most important - All teams must be entered by Wednesday 30 July.
Yunca Junior Tour Entries Open
Entries are now open for this year’s Yunca Junior Tour and due to generous sponsorship from Yunca, kit orders are highly discounted to just $50 each for tops and shorts – nice one! The tour will be held from Friday 3 to Sunday 5 October and will be followed again by the popular Junior Track Carnival on the evenings of Tuesday 7 and Wednesday 8 October. Register online here
Cycling Southland AGM
Remember to diary that the 2014 Cycling Southland Annual General Meeting will take place in the Sarah Ulmer Lounge on Thursday 24 July at 7:00pm. View all details here
Tour de France
There will be a Tour de France screening (last 2 hour highlights – from 7:30-9:30am) at the Ascot Park Hotel with the TV set up in the main foyer and coffee and breakfast available to purchase – see you there this Saturday and Sunday morning!
Well that is certainly another newsy beast for another week so do enjoy!
Keep warm and make the most of your week